Planning Your Elk Hunt: Resource List
Whether you’re exploring the field for the first time or the 20-something-ith, arguably the most important part of your next Colorado elk hunt will happen during the planning stages. For more tips about getting started on your next elk adventure, read “4 Steps to the Field: Planning Your Colorado Elk Hunt”.
Following is a list of resources to help hunters through the planning and application processes, all the way into the wilderness:
» Talk to a real person
Hunt Planners – 303-291-PLAN (7526). Talk to knowledgeable hunters and Colorado Parks and Wildlife staff who can help you through every step to plan the best hunt to suit your personal needs and desires.
» On the Web
• Elk Hunting University These informative articles cover a variety of elk-hunting topics, written by CPW Hunter Outreach Coordinator Jim Bulger and his group of huntmasters, as well as CPW biologists, wildlife officers and staff.
• Big-game brochure The annual hunting brochure contains the year’s hunt codes, season dates and regulations and is available in mid-February at license agents around the state. It is free and available in a printed booklet, a PDF download online and as an interactive, searchable version with video tutorials.
• Big-game hunting checklist Feel like you’re forgetting something? Print and follow this step-by-step list to plan your hunt properly.
• Big-game harvest surveys and recap summaries Reports on the number of licenses available the previous year, how many hunters applied for and drew licenses, and how many preference points it took to draw a license, broken into separate reports for GMUs and hunt codes.
• Big-game hunting planner A quick reference sheet (in PDF download format) for season dates and license sales dates.
• Colorado Outfitters Association If you’d prefer a guide when you head out for your hunting trip, this organization manages a list and contact information for all of the licensed outfitters in the state.
Colorado Hunting Atlas Start scouting from the comfort of home. This detailed, free mapping program developed by CPW staff shows terrain, game management units, elk migration areas and more. A variety of tutorials will help you get started planning and marking the best route through the field.
» Classes and seminars
CPW staff and officers hold numerous classes throughout the year. Check the website for upcoming class details and registration.